Cataract is one of the leading causes of visual impairment across the globe. Immediate visual rehabilitation is possible with cataract surgery during which the cataract is removed and an Intra Ocular lens (IOL) is inserted. Most patients who undergo a cataract surgery witness an easier healing experience than one can expect.
In most patients with healthy eyes, the surgery is painless and quick. One must undergo a comprehensive eye-examination to receive counselling regarding their eye condition and what precautions should be taken before and after the cataract surgery.
After the surgery, the doctor will prescribe medications including eye drops to prevent any form of infection or inflammation and to control the eye pressure. The patient is permitted to go home the same day but must be accompanied with a friend or family member since he / she is not allowed to drive. It is normal to witness blurriness, redness, itching sensation and irritation and things will definitely improve after a few days of surgery as the eye gradually adjusts to light, etc. To protect the eyes from light initially, the doctor recommends that one should wear a protective shield in the form of an eye patch. The eye patch protects the eye from inadvertent scratches and is highly recommended in the process of recovery.
To stay safe, here are some important do’s and don’ts after your cataract surgery.
Resumption of outdoor activities
- Can go to work and commence daily activities depending on the eye condition the next day
- Wear protective gear when outside
Shave or Shower
- Can shave from the first day
- Don't wash your face or hair for a few days post surgery
- Hair oiling must be done after one week
- Indian cooking involves the use of spices and a lot of fumes and must be avoided. So one must use the microwave till the eye has completely healed
- One must not drive till the eyes are completely adjusted to daylight and can see distant objects clearly. One should certainly not drive home immediately after cataract surgery.
Most important and beneficial is for one to take as much rest as possible. The eyes should not be strained when it comes to light during the day. Immediately after cataract surgery, the eyes tend to get extra light-sensitive. So, take the necessary precautions and know that you are responsible for your vision and take utmost care of it.